Pages

Monday 1 July 2013

Journaling

I have reviewed the first week of my Combine journal today. It's amazing how memory can be misleading when you smoothly drifting along the way and it seems that it was all the same always. Journal can help you to reveal what memory hides from you. I could see I traded differently during the first week, and later started to go onto loss minimization route, taking only stop run trades for lesser amount of ticks. It worked well of course because I had enough firepower to exploit it. But I doubt this is the best strategy for the real life trading. Fighting with slippage, for every tick, and by adding more contracts making the problem and struggle worse.

I like some conclusions I have drawn from last week trading with these mini-consolidations, but I also this I had a very good idea in the beginning that waned away after volatility in gold subdued, by trading with momentum bars. Now it seems we are having decent volatility again, so I will look to re-introduce momentum setups back, maybe I could combine they with breakouts, by treating a large momentum candle high/low as a key level and trading it as such, finding a mini-consolidation or a compressed pullback and trading its break in a direction of momentum. This week I will try to trade all setups with 10 ticks initial stop to avoid rogue tick stop outs, but will reduce it after initial movement and put to break even or around when one entry retest is done. In reality putting to break even is a bad thing, as rarely a level where your break even is bears any technical significance in the market, so you are trying to impose you view on the market and it never works. In reality you should apply some trailing technique right from the start, so at some point the stop will be past your breakeven and lock in some profit. I know that 10 ticks is a very small stop in gold to employ that tactic, so I will be looking for some healthy compromise and instead of technical points or swing high/low will use high/low of the 6s momentum candles in my direction.

I will start trading my practice account with this technique in my starting today as if it was a live account. I am tired of doing 50 trades a day just to see "what if" might work better or not. I think I stuck a bit in a search of perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment